Hangin' In There

Hangin' In There

Monday, February 16, 2009

The Scariest Day in My Life

I am so grateful that our day had the outcome that it did, but I have to say, it was the scariest day I have ever had so far as a Mom.

Today around 4pm, I was sitting on our couch and Grace was in the front room with me. I glanced over and she was laying on the ground...I didn't think much of it...but I glanced back and noticed that she was convulsing. I ran over, and she was fully having a seizure. In my mind I'm thinking, "she's not really having a seizure...she's okay." So I said, "Grace! Grace!" Well at this point I yell for Chance and he comes running in. He tries to pick her up but I yelled at him to leave her where she was, and I just made sure that she was laying on her side so that she wouldn't choke. Chance then calls 911 and seriously, in about 2 minutes, the paramedics were at out house. It was a huge comfort to know that they could get here so stinking fast. Thanks Clinton City.

Anyway, by the time they show up at our house the seizure had finally stopped and Grace wasn't responding to anything. She wouldn't talk or look at me, and she was having a hard time breathing. She was also trying to go to sleep. The 911 guy kept telling us to keep her awake, so I kept saying, "Grace! Look at Mom!" By the time the paramedics came into the room, Grace was focusing her eyes on things and realizing she was on the ground. She was trying to talk, but couldn't do anything but mumble. It was so sad! They checked her blood sugar, her temperature (102.5 I think it was), and they gave her oxygen to help her wake up.

Finally she started talking and asking for a blanket...and that was a GREAT sign. It was also kind of cute because I asked Grace, "Grace, do you want to sit up?" She said, "umm........no." The paramedics started laughing too. She's just too cute. Anyway...by THAT time we had about 6 men in our living room helping. We gave her some Children's Tylenol to help with the fever at the moment, and then they asked if we wanted to drive Grace to the doctor or if we wanted them to take her by ambulance to the ER. We opted to drive to Layton to the Wee Care instead....but we made sure that they thought it would be okay.

Morgan was sure a good Big sister too. She kept bringing Grace baby-dolls and stuffed animals to help her feel better. While we were at the doctor's she made her a big card that said, "Dear Grace, I'm sorry that you are sick. Love, Morgan". I have such a good 6 year old.

I called my neighbor to let her know that I wouldn't be able to teach her daughter piano that day, and she said, "Lilly's not here right now, but I know you have an ambulance at your house...is everything okay?" So we told her what happened, and she said, "Holly is on her way over to watch Morgan and Crede so that you can take Grace to the doctor." That, my friends, is an amazing person. So her other daughter, Holly, came over and we headed out to the doctor.

On our way it truly hit me what had just happened. I was pretty calm and collected up until that point. I just started to cry and I realized how special our little Grace is, and how scared we were when something happened to her that was completely out of our hands.

At the doctor, we waited, and finally saw the doctor. He walked in and said, "so...this is Grace?" I said, "yes..." and right at that moment, Grace puked all over the place. Oh yay. I felt so bad, but that doctor was amazing. Seriously...I have not had a good doctor at Wee Care before, but this one was amazing. He ran and got some towels to clean up, and asked if we were okay, and he spent a lot of time with us. He ran copies off for us to take home that talk about seizures, and he reassured us that it was most-likely caused by her high fever due to an ear infection. He prescribed her antibiotics for the ear, and gave her some ibuprofen for the fever. At the doctor, we started getting all sorts of phone calls. My friend Amie called to ask if she needed to pick up Morgan and Crede to take them to her house...and asked if we were okay. My mom called, and when we hung up from her, she drove to our house to take care of the kids.

When we were driving out of the parking lot, our Bishop was driving TO the hospital to visit Grace, and Hayley Ropelato who is also at the hospital. (We really hope that Hayley is doing better.) He brought her a stuffed bear. He is such an amazing Bishop. We are so blessed to have so many people care about our little family. Thank you so much everyone!

After getting home, Grace laid on the couch to relax. We fed her a little dinner and put all the kids to bed. She is now sound asleep and we're so grateful that she is okay. We love our kids and we know that our Heavenly Father was watching over us today to help us know how to handle this situation. He was also blessing us with friends and family to watch over us. It has made us realize how precious our little children are.

3 comments:

Kiralyn

I'm so sorry to hear this! Seizures are scary and never a good thing to see your loved one having. I'm glad that she is doing better.

Mills Family

I am sorry to hear about little Grace. Kara had a febrile seizure when she was 13 months old. It is really scary! Any time Kara had even a slight fever after that, I would give her tylenol or motrin. I was a little obsessed for a while after. The good news is she never had another one. Hopefully, Grace will not have another one, either.

Ann

How scary! I'm so glad she is ok and that everyone was helping you guys out--that ward is amazing and I miss it. I'll keep her (and you) in my thoughts and pray that it doesn't happen again.

  © Blogger template 'Totally Lost' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP