Hangin' In There

Hangin' In There

Monday, February 2, 2009

My Snorin' Study

So have any of you out there ever had a sleep study? Let me just say how much fun they are. First off, I snore like a lumberjack (just ask Chance...) and I get horrible headaches at night. My doctor said that I might have sleep apnea while pregnant, so I relented to a sleep study. I knew they hook you up to lots of different electrodes, but I just didn't realize how many there were! It took 30 minutes to hook me all up. I had about 8 in my hair, 2 next to my eyes, 2 behind my ears, one under my chin, and 2 things stuck up my nose to measure oxygen or something. Then you know those clip thingy's that you put over your fingers in the hospital? I got to sleep with one of those on. Then I had a belt around my chest and around my stomach, and 2 electrodes on each leg. Oh, and the coux de gras (is that how you spell that?) was the fact that I had a MAJOR cold, runny nose and all. YAY!

So after getting all hooked up, I decided it was time to turn off the lights and go to sleep. I shut off the lights, and noticed the camera pointed right at me all lit up. I'm a pretty private person, and just the idea that there was someone on the other end of that camera ALL NIGHT made me crazy. The last thing that my nurse-guy said before leaving me for the night was, "if you need anything during the night, just sit up, and I'll be right in." So of course I didn't want to sit up to blow my nose, or go to the bathroom, or to even turn over to get comfortable, because I didn't want to run into my little helper. Argh.

The next morning at 5:45am I was woken up, and unhooked. What a wonderful night's sleep! I had to pee like no other (sheesh I'm pregnant for crying outloud!) so I was spying down the hall waiting for the other "guests" to GET OUT of the bathroom....waiting......waiting.....and then I realized, there's a 2nd bathroom. Nice. So I run in, check out the damage to my face and matted hair (they put something like JB Weld in your hair to hold down the electrodes) and then hurried over to do my morning business....when I look down, and there is PEE all over the toilet seat. Seriously folks....there were MAYBE 6 of us sleeping there that night, and I'm pretty sure I was the youngest one there....so we should ALL know at this point how to use the potty. Come on folks! So that was a WONDERFUL start to my morning. If only I could do that more often....

So my little helper told me that they were able to collect a lot of good information, but he couldn't comment on anything until I talked to my doctor in 2 weeks. We'll see what he has to say. Fun times.

I did have strict instructions on when I needed to be home, because Chance had a very important Church basketball game at 7am that he HAD to be to. So I got home, sat down - dazed - on the couch, and Chance said, "wow you must have had a good nights sleep, you have sheet marks all over your face!" I said, those aren't sheet marks, those are tape marks from the stupid electrodes." I am STILL dealing with crazy complection issues from that tape and "conductive gel" that they put on UNDER the tape. Yay complection problems.

On the plus side, Chance had a good time at Basketball, and I slept VERY well that night.

4 comments:

B-Blogit

lol! I have had several and I know the feeling, cept the urge to go to the bathroom hasnt been that great!

Mills Family

Wow! What a night! Jeff had to do a sleep test, but just got to bring the little machine thingy home and hook it up here. Sorry, you had such a bad experience. I hope I never have to have a sleep test done. How did they expect you to sleep with all that crap hooked up and the "big brother" watching???

jennywren

Oh man, I don't think I would have been able to sleep at all! I'd be thinking of all the things I would suddenly have the urge to do, but wouldn't because of the camera pointed at me. Like, need to go the bathroom...my nose itches but on the inside and I don't want it to look like I'm picking my nose...do they have sound? what if I'm having "tummy" problems?...the list could go on and on. What a brave woman. :) I hope the results are helpful!

Josh and Dallas

Emily! I just love your blog! You have a talent! Sweet Grace. I wish I knew her more. What a cute girl! So smart too. Awesome news on your refi!
Sorry 'bout the sleep test. Glad it is over thought. What a long night! I don't think I would be able to sleep with someone watching me either. Hope the results come back with some answers.

  © Blogger template 'Totally Lost' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP