Hangin' In There

Hangin' In There

Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Kind of Mother....

A good friend of mine posted this on her blog. SHE got it from her Mother in Law - who found it in the newspaper. It brought a smile to MY face today, so I thought I'd share it too. (Thanks Rea!)

"Sometimes motherhood is like being on a merry-go-round that just won't stop turning. Even when you're getting a tad too dizzy, some ornery kid gives it another push.We have to try to hang on and enjoy the ride.

Kids make sure the excitement never stops - don't even think about sitting down to rest - they need a drink, a toy from the high shelf, a bandage for an aching wound you can't even see... some urgent issue is bound to arise just as you put your feet up.

Sometimes, amid the cracker crumbs, foot-impaling plastic toys and sibling squabbles, we need to reaffirm what this job is all about. We must remind ourselves.

We must remind ourselves that the perfect mother is one who recognizes that family life isn't perfect. It's all about making sweet lemon bars out of a sour lemon kind of day, and not worrying to much about the high sugar content. Just this once.

Instead of muttering to myself in a corner, I share my affirmations with you, fellow parents, grandparents and curious gawkers.

I will be the mother who holds her children's hands a little too tightly, always thinking of the awful what ifs in this world.

I will be the mother who serves her kids the same meal I'm eating, refusing to give in to the chicken nugget diet youngsters wish to subscribe to.

I will be the mother who sometimes gives them the Popsicle they really want even though they already had a cookie and a doughnut that day.

I will be the mother who won't give her kids soda, because I said so.

I will be the mother who teaches them to play by the rules and also makes sure they win sometimes.

I will be the mother who lets her kids watch television and make no apology for it.

I will be the mother who won't let her kids listen to iPods and send text messages throughout dinner.

I will be the mother who doesn't really care if the kids make their beds.

I will be the mother who care very much about how the children treat people.

I will be the mother who sometimes says "yes" when I shouldn't.

I will be the mother who sometimes says "no" when I shouldn't.

I will be the mother who loves my children more than they can imagine, on the best of days and the worst of days."

2 comments:

alananddanielle

AWESOME! I LOVED THIS AND COPIED IT TO SEND IT ON TO MY MOM AND SISTERS. THANKS FOR THE "MOTHERLY" BOOST TODAY.

Erin

I like that.

  © Blogger template 'Totally Lost' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP